Development ManagerCompany: Green Lake Association
Date Posted: February 14, 2018
About the Green Lake Association
Founded in 1951, the Green Lake Association (GLA) is a non-profit, member-supported organization committed to preserving and protecting Big Green Lake, the deepest natural inland lake in Wisconsin. We actively facilitate research, conservation projects and education targeted directly at improving Green Lake’s water quality.
The GLA is leading significant research into the causes of the decline in water quality in Green Lake. To fund the programs that will remediate the water quality issues, we are planning a membership and fundraising drive, including a major gift campaign.
Job Description: The Green Lake Association currently has two full-time staff members: An Executive Director and a Project Manager. The Development Manager is a new position for the organization and the individual will have the unique opportunity to design and build a membership growth and development program. The Development Manager will report to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and facilitate the annual year-end and membership campaigns.'
- Develop and implement a major gifts campaign in collaboration with an outside consultant, the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Develop and implement a plan for securing corporate and foundation giving.
- Enhance the existing donor database to incorporate personal profiles to support a development program.
- Cultivate relationships with prospective donors and coordinate those development relationships with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors as appropriate.
- Develop and implement a planned giving program that is communicated to our members and incorporated into the website.
- Partner with the Project Manager to plan the annual gala and other fundraising events.
- Communicate with members, colleagues and the Board of Directors in a way that maintains credibility, trust and support.
- In collaboration with the Project Manager, design and execute a communication plan tailored to various stakeholder groups that tells the story of the important lake restoration work the GLA is doing.
Administrative & Executive Support (25%)
- Update the donor database, including documenting membership renewals and acknowledging donations.
- Review all program support resources, including the donor database, online giving portal, website, member and prospective donor communications, and other development-related tools. Provide improvements, enhancements and/or recommendations for upgrades/replacements, as appropriate.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative and executive tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in related fields, which may include: Nonprofit Management, Institutional Advancement/Development, Business, Economics or another relevant field.
- One to three years of experience in nonprofit fundraising and development is desirable.
Recent graduates or candidates with other professional experiences that align with the stated Roles and Responsibilities will be considered.
Desired Skills and Background
The Development Manager position requires an individual who is bright, energetic and talented with a broad skillset and natural interpersonal skills. S/he should be detail-oriented and an excellent manager of his/her time with the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Development Manager should be able to work both collaboratively and independently, to provide follow-through on initiatives from conception to completion, to work under pressure at various times and to manage a wide variety of activities.
The ideal individual should enjoy working within a small team environment that is mission-driven, environmentally-focused and community-oriented. S/he should have a willingness to learn new skills, to anticipate and resolve issues and to seek outside information as needed. The Development Manager must exercise good judgment in a variety of situations and with a variety of stakeholders. This individual has strong written and verbal communication (writing samples may be requested) with analytical and organizational skills.
This position requires an individual who is technologically savvy with experience in GiftWorks (or other databases), QuickBooks (or other bookkeeping software), WordPress (or other website platforms) and Microsoft Excel. Demonstrated experience with software platforms may be requested.
To apply for the Development Manager position, please send the following materials to Alison Niescier at email@example.com
- A cover letter that communicates a desire for the position and demonstrates credentials related to Roles and Responsibilities, Qualifications and Desired Skills and Background,
- A resume (1-2 pages) that summarizes relevant education and experience, and
- A list of 3 professional references with contact information and relationship to the applicant. We will contact references only if you are invited to an interview. You will be notified of this ahead of time.
If preferred, applicants can mail application packets to the Green Lake Association, PO Box 364, Green Lake, WI 54941.