Executive DirectorCompany: Friends of Hearthstone, Inc.
Date Posted: December 21, 2017
Guided by an ambitious strategic plan, governed by an engaged and dedicated Board of Directors, and supported by passionate volunteers, the Friends of Hearthstone, Inc. is seeking a part-time (25–30 hours/week) EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR to contribute to the growth of Hearthstone, an historic house museum in Appleton, Wisconsin. The right candidate is a leader with business skills who is willing to think creatively, is capable of problem solving, is proactive (not reactive) and enthusiastic, and can work successfully with a wide array of volunteers.
On September 30, 1882, the Henry J. Rogers home, now known as Hearthstone (www.hearthstonemuseum.org) became the first private residence in the world to be lit by hydroelectricity from a central power station using the Edison system. Hearthstone Historic House Museum is a living example of this early technological innovation. Hearthstone's rare 1882 Edison light switches and electroliers are still operation. Hearthstone may be the sole surviving example of wiring and fixtures in their original location from the dawn of the electrical age.
In addition, this Queen Anne style, Victorian era home designed by William Waters, has been lovingly restored to the historic 1880-1895 era. The home is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.
The Executive Director (ED) will provide leadership in all aspects of the museum’s operations. Duties include (but are not limited to):
• Coordinating volunteers: recruiting, training and scheduling (approximately 15 hours/week)
• Overseeing tour operations, educational programs, facility maintenance
• Implementing policies
• Maintaining board relations, public relations, and donor relations
• Participating in community outreach
The ED will supervise and work with the part-time Development Director on short and long-range fund development, grant writing, program sponsorships and donor relations.
• Leadership and management skills: is accessible and acts as an employee advocate, and has experience working with a wide range of volunteers
• Finance experience:
o Profit and loss
o Grant writing
o Program sponsorship
o Long-range funding
• Nonprofit operational experience, preferably in the museum space
• Strong communication skills: written and verbal, comfortable giving presentations and with public speaking
• Ability to maintain a professional atmosphere
• Computer literacy – competent in Microsoft Office
For consideration, please mail a cover letter and resume to:
President, Friends of Hearthstone, Inc.
P. O. Box 1777
Appleton, WI 54912
or email cover letter and resume in PDF format to: Employment@hearthstonemuseum.org
No phone calls, please. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Friends of Hearthstone, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This organization does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, gender, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The Friends of Hearthstone, Inc. is a non - profit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.